Six Money-Saving Tips for DIY Movers
Moving without the assistance of a professional moving company is no easy feat. DIY movers must pack and unpack an entire household, risk breaking or losing possessions, or ship items and travel long distances.
One way to alleviate moving day woes is to rent a truck. Cut rental costs by keeping in mind these six money-saving tips:
1. Rent early. Most moves happen over a weekend near the end of the month. Save extra by renting on a weekday or earlier in the month.
2. Seek discounts. Shop around to find discounts. Many rental companies offer markdowns for students, municipal workers, seniors or AAA members.
3. Use your insurance. If your existing insurance continues during a move, see if it extends to cover moving vans. You’ll save on paying more for the truck separately.
4. Get an accurate size estimate. Renters often charge more for larger vehicles, so be sure you’re only reserving what you absolutely need. Most companies have online tools that will help you get a precise estimate of space required.
5. Save on boxes. Take advantage of grocery stores, which often give away cardboard boxes for free. Select U-Haul locations also participate in a swap where movers can drop off or pick up no-cost boxes.
6. Stick to the schedule. Rental companies typically allot specific times that the truck may be used. Be sure to return your truck in a timely manner (preferably as soon as you’re finished unloading) to avoid late fees.
Reprinted with permission from RISMedia. ©2014. All rights reserved.